A big batch of chocolate chip cookies prepared and waiting for you in the freezer using Aldi ingredients are guaranteed to save the day for those last minute get togethers that you hadn’t planned for. It is also guaranteed to keep your grocery budget in check!
Aldi Prices September 2021
1 cup of margarine = 49 cent
I+2/3 cup of white sugar = 33 cent
2 eggs = 30 cent
2 tsp vanilla essence= 30 cent
1 tsp baking soda = 3 cent
1 tsp salt = 1 cent
2 bags chocolate chips = €1.18
3 cups plain flour = € 29 cent
Total cost of batch= €3.34
I got 43 cookies out of this batch. I used a tablespoon measure from my cup set which is pictured below. That means that each cookie costs less than 8 cent each! I’m sure a cookie costs at least €1 no matter where you get your takeaway coffee from so the savings to be made on this item alone are huge.
Example: If you have 3 children and you brought them to the coffee shop each weekend for a hot chocolate and a cookie the cookies alone would cost you at the very least €3 x 52 weeks = €156 a year…..on cookies. We all know that cookies are most likely more expensive than that but I’m being generous.
Using this recipe you could have cookies for your 3 children every week for of the year for a total cost of €12.48. That is a saving of €143.52 on cookies. (The batch of frozen cookie balls could last over 14 week in this example)
This is the kind of analysis I did on my food costs during my no spend year when I paid off €10k as a single parent on a low income. If you can make savings like this across all the categories of items you buy each year in your household the savings can run into the thousands.
Freeze Your Big Batch Chocolate Chips Cookies
Make into balls with your tablespoon measure. Place on a tray as seen below. Freeze for an hour and a half or until firm to touch. The purpose of flash freezing is to allow the cookie dough balls to be placed in a freezer container together and to not get all stuck together in a mess. If you flash freeze them they won’t stick together in the freezer however you choose to store them.
Big Batch Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup Baking Margarine
- 1+⅔ cup Caster sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 1 tsp Bicarbonate of soda Also called baking soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 bags Chocolate chips 100g bags from Aldi but use whatever you have access to
- 3 cups Plain flour Also known as all purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 175° C/350° F/ Gas Mark 3
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper
- Mix the margarine and sugar till it looks well combined ( kinda fluffy)
- Mix the eggs and vanilla in a cup and then add to the sugar mixture and mix till combined
- Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl (leaving the chocolate chips aside till the end)
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture bit by bit. Combine well but do not overwork the mixture.
- Add the chocolate chips to the mix at the end.
- Using a tablespoon measure from a cup set make dough balls with the cookie mix. Press the dough balls flat ( just a little don't over do it) on the lined baking tray before baking for 12-14 minutes.
- Please be aware that if you make smaller cookies you will need to reduce that time to 8-10 minutes. Err on the side of caution and check your cookies at 8 minutes when you first try this mixture.
- Follow the simple flash freezing instructions watch the full video on youtube on how to make the cookies from start to finish and on how to flash freeze the rest of the batch.