Here is my homemade chilli con carne. I hope you enjoy it!
Ingredients To Use In Chilli Con Carne
I make this chilli with lean beef, red kidney beans and various chopped veggies. This is a generous batch that could feed a big family or a smaller family for 2 evenings. You can also portion it out to about 8 portions and freeze for later use. I flavour this recipe using our homemade chilli spice which is linked right here.
How To Store And Freeze Chilli Con Carne
I divide this recipe into individual portions and freeze it but this recipes keeps in the fridge for several days too if that suits your family better. I wish we could all eat together everyday but it doesn’t always work out like that so these individual portions are great for the busy days.
To keep in the fridge or freezer make sure it is cooled fully and then store in an airtight container.
Chilli Con Carne
- 1/2 courgette
- 1 small carrot
- 3 bulbs Garlic
- 1 med onion
- 1 tbsp Olive oil for cooking, use as much as you need.
- 800 g Lean mince beef
- 1.5 tins plumb tomatoes
- 1 tin Kidney beans
- 1 tbsp Caster sugar Sweeten as you prefer ie honey, brown sugar etc
- 2 tbsp Tomato puree
- Beef stock I used an Oxo cube
- 2 tbsp Homemade spice mix (or a chilli spice mix of your choice, read instructions for quantity) Recipe for my homemade chilli spice mix is linked below
- Splash of water which you may or may not need to melt your stock pot and to loosen the mixture if needed.
- Heat the oil.
- Mince the garlic, onion, carrot and courgette in a food processor or chop/ grate finely.
- Cook the fine veggie mix for a few minutes.
- Make room on the bottom of the pot to cook the spices for a few minutes and then mix into the veggies.
- Add the mince meat, mix in and cook with the lid on on a medium heat. Cook for about a half an hour regularly stirring and mixing. You may need to splash water in to keep the mix from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Blitz the tomatoes till smooth and add to the meat mixture.
- Add tomato puree, the stock pot and sugar.
- Add the kidney beans.
- Add spice mix of your choice.
- Cook for a further hour stirring regularly. You want to mix to thicken nicely. Lift the lid off for the last 20 mins to help it thicken up.