Aldi pancakes are a favourite in my house. These pancakes are similar to Aldi’s buttermilk pancakes. They are easy to make and perfect for freezing in batches.
At 89 cent per 8 pancakes in Aldi, this batch comes in at 88 cent for approximately 24 pancakes.
That means that this batch of homemade lunchbox sized pancakes are 3 times more affordable than the shop bought ones. I have not used buttermilk in this recipe but I’m sure it would work just as well if you wanted to use it.
These pancakes are firm, making them perfect for lunchboxes. We like to take them out of the freezer for breakfast too and just pop them straight into the toaster.
I have used golden syrup in this recipe but sugar or honey is fine too. Use as much as you of your preferred sweetener to suit your own tastes.
Aldi Style Pancakes (Big Batch)
- Ice cream scoop or a 1/4 cup measure.
- 480 grams Self raising flour
- 1.5 tsp Baking powder
- 1.5 tsp Salt use to taste
- 2 tbsp Golden syrup Use any sugar or sweetener you prefer
- 390 ml Milk
- 3 eggs
- 6 tbsp oil
- NOTE!! be accurate in your baking powder measurement as it can be very unpleasant if you use too much! Err on the side of caution and use less if in doubt.
- Mix the dry ingredients together.
- Beat the eggs on their own.
- Combine the wet ingredients including the beaten eggs.
- Combine the wet and dry mixtures together. You do not need a mixer but you can use one if you wish.
- You can leave this in the fridge overnight or use it immediately.
- Heat a dry non stick pan to a medium heat(If you do not have a good non stick pan you may need to use oil on the pan)
- Use an ice-cream scoop or a ¼ cup measure to portion the pancake batter onto the pan
- Cook for approximately 1.5 minutes each side or until the middle of the pancake has a cake like texture and appearance.
- Keep warm easily on a plate in a warm oven or let cool on racks to freeze.
Preparing The Pancakes The Freezer.
- Cool on racks
- Freeze on greaseproof lined trays for an hour
- Put into freezer bags (seperate with greaseproof paper if you wish)
Reheating Aldi Style Pancakes.
We like to pop them in the toaster to warm them through straight from the freezer. We also like to reheat them in the microwave for a few seconds.